Thursday, July 23, 2009

i've got it!

For the last 6 months or so I've been trying different banana bread recipes trying to find THE perfect one. I had to combine a few and adapt a few things, and really in the end I didn't narrow it down to one, but three different options. I like a little flexibility. I really, really love banana bread but unfortunately for years I've had a difficult time making it - it would usually end up burnt around the edges and doughy in the middle, the boys downstairs during my college years even used it as a doorstop. Growing up my lovely Aunt Debbie would often show up on our doorstep with a delicious loaf wrapped up in tinfoil along with the most divine homemade cream cheese frosting for it. SO GOOD. I don't remember my mom making banana bread too often, we just waited for Aunt Debbie's deliveries. :) Aunt Debbie shared that recipe with us, but honestly it just doesn't work when I make it. And thus my quest for a new recipe.

BUTTERMILK/YOGERT/SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD

In a large mixing bowl combine:
1 3/4 C. flour (I like to do 1 C. white & 3/4 C. wheat)
2/3 C. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
(I also add about 1/4 C. flax seed)

In a second bowl combine:
6 T. melted butter or 1/3 C. oil
3 mashed bananas (about 1 C.)
2 beaten eggs
1 t. vanilla extract (I prefer almond)
1 T. cinnamon
1/4 C. buttermilk OR 1/4 C. vanilla yogurt OR 1/2 C. sour cream

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees
*Stir the second bowl into the dry ingredients until just combined.
*Pour into 1 bread pan sprayed with Pam, smooth the top
* Sprinkle brown sugar on the top (I love this part, it makes the yummiest crust)
* Bake for 45-50 minutes

2 comments:

Josh and Steph said...

I'm glad that you finally found the perfect recipe! I am definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

The Webb Family said...

LOL! One would think that I'd be able to make bread like my mom, too...NOT EVEN. I'm so glad you found a recipe to suit your baking abilities, my dear! ;)
Hey, you deserve that after the tree town comment....