After the train ride, we kept headed west to go though the super cool Eisenhower Tunnel. (Remember how we love a good tunnel?) We ate lunch at a yummy pub in Silverthorne then headed up the mountains to the tiny town of Leadville.
Trevor was there a couple weeks ago for the mountain bike race of all races and wanted to show it to the rest of us. I asked him what there was to do there and he was a little nervous about that because, really, it is just a small mountain town at the top of the world - elevation 10,512. Well, he didn't need to worry one bit because we happened across .... A RODEO! Not just any old rodeo this one had horse-riding cowboys/girls shooting balloons with shotguns and then riffles. Sounds crazy, but it really was entertaining. If you ever happen across this balloon shooting event, you should for sure stop and check it out.
Wow - I have no idea why this picture flipped. Just tilt your head to the left and we'll call it good.
It was hard to find something to top the rodeo, but we did manage to find an ice cream shop. Unfortunately, I took one lick and my scoop and sent it tumbling to the floor. Sorry I don't have a picture of that. (The true story is it was Trevor's ice cream I lost so I hurried to pick it up before he came back from the bathroom then gave him mine and claimed I didn't want one.)
Other weekend happenings I didn't get pictures of:
- Pizza night. A must whenever I cook for Fred. New recipe - potato leek - that wins as my favorite pizza ever. And that's saying somethin'!
- Watching the Lorax - such a good movie!
- Rockies game for the guys.
- Dinner at the Chop House with the Colleys.
1 comment:
I love Leadville! I remember seeing a one room school house, buying cloth at an antique fabric store and a having excellent fudge. I have picture of the first, a table runner of the second... and fond memories of the fudge.
Post a Comment